Aeronautical Engineering remains one of the most fascinating subjects in applied science and engineering. On the other hand, as a nation, if we develop aerospace technology, other technologies are also updated proportionally. Aerospace engineers develop new technologies for use in aviation, defense systems, and Aerospace exploration, often specializing in areas such as aerodynamics, aerospace propulsion, aerospace structures, guidance, navigation and control, instrumentation and communication, or production methods. Department offers a vibrant academic atmosphere which enables independent research and free exchange of ideas. The department has continuous interaction with R & D organizations of international repute in the field of aerospace engineering that lead to mutually beneficial research activities. The department of Aeronautical Engineering was established in 2014 with an intake of 60. Besides there are an additional 20% seats under lateral entry scheme. The department has grown rapidly ever since its establishment.
- B.E. Aeronautical Engineering
- “To be a centre of excellence in Aeronautical engineering with emphasis on research, development and innovation and serve the needs of industry in our country and the globe as a whole”.
The department’s vision is derived from the institute vision and it vouches to help the institute in fulfilling its vision by way of becoming a centre of excellence in Aeronautical Engineering.The mission statements are the action statements, the department intends to implement in fulfilling its vision. The key components are quality technical education, multidisciplinary skills and Research and Development activities.
- Provide quality education well-grounded in the fundamental principles of Aeronautical Engineering.
- Consistently produce top quality Aeronautical engineers with core and multidisciplinary skills, who can take leadership positions and become successful entrepreneurs
- Continuously strive for creation of new knowledge; undertake Research and Development that will contribute to the industrial development of the nation.
- To prepare and provide student with an academic environment for students to excel in postgraduate programs or to succeed in industry / technical profession and the life-long learning needed for a successful professional career in Aeronautical Engineering and related fields (Preparation & Learning Environment).
- To provide students with a solid foundation in mathematical, scientific and engineering fundamentals required to solve engineering problems and also to pursue higher studies (Core Competence).
- To train students with good scientific and engineering breadth so as to comprehend, analyze, design, and create novel products and solutions for the real life problems (Breadth).
- To inculcate in students professional and ethical attitude, effective communication skills, teamwork skills, multidisciplinary approach, and an ability to relate engineering issues to broader social context (Professionalism).
- PO1: Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2: Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO3: Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4: Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5: Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6: The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7: Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8: Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9: Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10: Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11: Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12: Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
The department activities are highly supported with eminent personalities from industries, government organizations, R&D Sectors for students Professional Awareness with outside Environment. The department adopts advanced teaching methodologies like Webinars, case studies, seminars, group discussions, project works, assignments, quiz programs etc., which enhance students to understand real world problems and give support for their higher education and profession. Teaching aids such as LCD Projector, OHP, CD demo, equipment demonstrations, Models, Charts etc are regularly used to enhance better understanding. Around 15 students of each class are allocated to a teacher who keeps a close rapport with each student with regard to academic and personal matters.
In the regular time-table, five (5) periods are allocated for the enhancement of soft skills – (i) Aptitude (ii) Seminars, (iii) Personality Development, (iv) Extra-curricular Activities and (v) Career Development. Expert Lectures from Specialists of the Industry and Academic Institutions are also arranged. Students are encouraged to participate in national level conferences, present papers, and the department also frequently conducts workshops.