The Department of Civil Engineering at Sree Sastha Institute of Engineering and Technology, Chembarambakam was started in the year 2002 with an intake of 30 with the approval of AICTE and the intake was increased to180 in the year 2011 and also 2 post graduate programmes with an intake of 18 each.
The department has NBA accredited for 3 years (2009-2012).Within a short period of time, the department has taken the concrete shape in carrying out the academic and non-curricular activities in an effective way. The Graduate of Civil Engineering program will implement optimum solution for societal problems using professional knowledge resulting in sustainable development of construction industry and also to analyze, solve, design and execute projects with the fundamental knowledge of Civil Engineering.
It has also been creating opportunities for pursuing postgraduate programmes in reputed Indian and foreign universities. The Department library has a collection of 206 books on various titles catering to the needs of faculty and students. The Civil Engineering department has full-fledged Labs for both Under-graduate and Post graduate programme with excellent infrastructure facilities.
Programmes run by the department are,
- B.E. Civil Engineering
- M.E. Structural Engineering
- M.E. Construction Management
To impart knowledge and excellence in civil engineering and technology with global perspectives to our students and to make them strong engineers to build our nation and fulfill the demands of Civil engineering in the society by playing responsible role in the sense of self discipline, social responsibility and co-operative work attitude
- To develop the students with a broad and complete education in fundamentals, applications, design and execution, that equips them with necessary skills to become a successful professional engineers.
- To create congenial environment for interaction amongst students, faculty and technical staff to facilitate open thinking and learning process.
- To produce wholesome civil engineers to provide service for the wealth improvement of our Nation.
- To provide advanced skills and knowledge technologies.in the research field and design areas of civil engineering in world class state of art by emerging
On completion of B.E (Civil) Degree Programme, the Engineering graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering in their specialization involving complex engineering problems.
- Analyze a problem, identify, formulate and solve engineering problems using basic fundamental principles of mathematics and science.
- Design a system component or process to meet the desired needs and standards within realistic constraints such as public health and safety, social and environmental considerations.
- Design and conduct experiments, as well as do research, analyze and interpret data and give clear solutions.
- Use and learn the limitations involved in recent techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Assess the local and global impact of engineering solutions on individuals, organization and society and the consequent responsibilities relevant to their professional engineering practice.
- Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Understand the professional and ethical responsibilities and norms of engineering practice.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams, involve in team activities and accomplish a common goal.
- Communicate effectively with engineering community for presentation, documentation of reports adopting the design standards.
- Understand engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multi-disciplinary environments.
- Meet contemporary issues and create advance technologies and will be engaged to lifelong learning in the broadest scale.
- PSO 1: Graduate with proficiency in mathematics and physical science will be excel in problem solving, design and interpretation of experiments and operating as a team for the solution of various issues in the core areas of civil engineering.
- PSO 2: The graduates of the program will be capable of operating effectively in a professional environment by executing quality construction work applying modern tools and techniques.
- PSO 3: The graduate will achieve excellence, managerial expertise and outstanding leadership to succeed in position in civil engineering profession by lifelong learning and research in advanced areas & related field