The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering was established in the year 1999-2000 with a sanctioned intake of 40 for offering 4-year B.E. course. The AICTE, New Delhi approved an increased intake to 60 in 2000 – 2001, to 90 in 2002 – 2003 and later to 120 in the academic year 2004 – 2005.
The Department also offers a M.E. degree course in VLSI design since 2005-2006 and another M.E. degree course in Communication Systems since 2007 – 2008, each with a sanctioned intake of 18.
The department has been granted NBA accreditation twice for three years in 2004 as well as in 2009 and applied in 2015 for 2 years.This department has been granted permanent affiliation by the Anna University, Chennai.
Programmes run by the department are,
- B.E. Electronics and Communication Engineering
- M.E. Communication System
- M.E. VLSI Design
- M.S. (By Research ) Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Ph.D. Electronics and Communication Engineering
To become a nationally and internationally renowned leading institution of higher learning and research built upon the culture and values of contemporary technical education and to foster a zeal for generating the knowledge and the technologies that is essential in shaping the future in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
To emerge as a centre of excellence in
- Dissemination of knowledge that is essential to meet the local and global demands in Electronics and Communication Engineering,
- Imparting quality education to enable the students to compete internationally
- Preparing them to produce creative and innovative solutions for the need of society
- Providing consciousness of universal moral values and adhering to the professional ethical codes
- To impart knowledge to students on basic science, mathematics and computer science that would help them to understand the design and developmental concepts of electronics and communication engineering.
- To develop the communicative skills and comprehensive abilities in students and provide them with soft skill trainings that will facilitate them to acquire good job opportunities in the industries or for their higher studies.
- To provide practical skills by hands-on experience to the students to apply the knowledge gained on various scientific and technical courses in order to carry out curriculum based laboratory experiments and team projects.
- To provide an in-depth knowledge and demonstrations related to the core area of electronics and communication engineering, starting from the basics to the level of analysis, synthesis and design of circuits and systems, in addition to the exposure on latest advancements in the field.
- To foster the students with a broader knowledge on usage of computers, management and ethical & moral principles, environmental issues and other engineering disciplines.
- To create an interest for self learning, updating recent developments in the major area of study by way of in-plant training and industrial visit and motivating to present articles in national / international I for dissemination of knowledge.
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social,political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability,
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams,
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems,
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- An ability to design, analyze, construct and synthesize circuits related to Electronics and Communication Engineering (PSPO).
The following programs are conducted to enrich the technical knowledge of the students apart from their regular course of study.
- C++, Networking
- Real Time Embedded Systems
- Sensors and Transducers
- Advanced Digital signal Processing
- Programming in Matlab
- Personality Development Programs
- HR, Aptitude test, Group Discussion and Seminars
- Design of Low Power VLSI Circuits
- DCS & PLC Overview
- Mobile Technology